Monday, January 24, 2011

Grandma's Chicken Salad

This is not my grandmother's recipe.  I don't ever call her Grandma.  I'm not sure if Granmother Etta has a chicken salad recipe. It is mine.  But for about 2 years I made it about 1-2 times a month for my grandmother, so that is what I call it.

1. 6-8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2. 1 cup mayonaisse
3. 1 cup sour cream
4 .1/4 cup craisins, reconsituted in hot water and drained
5. 2 stalk of celery, shaved of strings and chopped small
6. 1 tablespoon minced garlic
7. 1 teaspoon mustard powder
8. 1 teaspoon of cumin
9. Salt and Pepper to taste
10. Chopped Walnuts or Pecans to top (optional)

Boil the chicken until cooked through.  Let cool. 
After you set aside the chicken to cool, mix ingredients 2-9 together.  If you don't like cumin, leave it out and add what you like. Dill is good, and so is fresh parsley.  Let it sit in the fridge while the chicken cools.
Chop up the chicken into small chunks, or shred.  Add the dressing.  Let chill in the fridge overnight.
Top with nuts before you serve.

It is quite yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment